January 10, 2010

2010


It's not 2009 anymore. Wow! Well, while everyone is conjuring up their New Year's resolutions, I hope they are also staying warm. It's way too cold outside. 2009 wasn't so bad for good ol' MD. While it has probably been the most introverted and secluded year of my life, I managed to grow exponentially as an artist. I think that word is a good one to use in terms of summing up my goals. Just good old exponential growth. Well, now that I think about it, maybe that's not so true. Exponential growth hints that the scope and quality are both at a rapid increase. For an artist especially, or anyone really, I think that both scope and quality are extremely important facets. However, me personally, I don't believe all my projects need to be on such a massive scale all the time. I like to enjoy the simpler things as well, and I feel that I learned a lot about complexity through simplicity during 2009.

While some people like to say that each new year is going to be big, as if every year isn't big, I must state that for me, 2010 will be massive. I'll be done with my education at the Art Institute! I am looking extremely forward to applying what I have learned to projects that will have more exposure than those I have done so far. Being as picky as I am over my work, it's quite difficult for me to consider anything finished, as you might have noticed by everything on this blog being called a WIP. I don't think that will ever change. Time constraint is an element in the equation that spawns true genius. Nothing would make me happier than to become a part of team that utilizes creativity to teach people something and to maybe even give them a sense of hope. Something positive. My last semester at school will spawn the most closely related symbiosis of my drawing and 3D work that I have done to date.

This project, which still remains untitled, will serve as my full portfolio in the coming months. I'll post some pics soon. But having the chance to re-immerse myself into drawing has really made me more critical of the 3D work that I do. When working in Maya, there are absolutely no limitations, and because of this, I feel as if I have aimed much too low in the projects I have undertaken in 3D. It is my goal to illustrate a more educated mastery over each pixel on display. I also tend to be very impatient in regards to my 3D work in comparison to my drawing. The same elements apply, and I feel as though my 3D work has lost touch with the drawing nexus. I have the entire universe at my fingertips and am utilizing mere specs of sand. It's really time to dig in! In closing, I'll end with some pics of the process so far. This is a few days of work, and you may not be able to identify what you are looking at just yet, but that's ok. It's all about the reveal.

No comments:

Post a Comment